Thanks for this, Sergio. There are two kinds of difference between 'wait' and 'await'.
感谢你,塞尔吉奥。wait和await存在着两处不同。
The first difference is in the grammatical structures that are associated with these two verbs.
第一处不同在于与这两个动词相关的语法结构中。
The verb 'await' must have an object - for example, 'I am awaiting your answer'.
await这个动词一定要有一个宾语--举个例子:'我在等你的答案。'
And the object of 'await' is normally inanimate, not a person, and often abstract.
而await的宾语一般是无生命的,不是一个人,通常是抽象的。
So you can't say, 'John was awaiting me'.
因此你不能说:'John was awaiting me'。
The verb 'wait' can come in different structures.
而wait这个动词可以出现在不同的结构中。
Firstly, you can just use 'wait' on its own:
首先,你可以只使用wait本身。
'We have been waiting and waiting and waiting and nobody has come to talk to us.'
'我们一直在等啊等啊等啊,没有人过来和我们说话。'
Another structure that is very common is to use 'wait' with another verb
另外一个常见的结构是,把wait和另外一个动词一起使用,
for example, 'I waited in line to go into the theatre.'
比如,'我排队等候进入剧院。'
Very often, with 'wait', you mention the length of time that you have been waiting
通常来说,用wait的话,你会提到你等候的时长,
for example, 'I have been waiting here for at least half an hour.'
比如,'我已经在这里等了至少30分钟了。'
Finally, speakers often mention what or who they have been waiting for
最后一点,讲话人经常会提到他们在等候的是什么或者是谁,
so, if a friend was really late you could say, 'I have been waiting for you for two hours!'
因此,如果一个朋友迟到了,你可以这样说:'我已经等了你两个小时了!'
The other difference between the two verbs, 'wait' and 'await', is the level of formality.
wait和await这两个动词的另一个区别在于正式化的层次上。
'Await' is more formal than 'wait' - it would be used in formal letters, for example.
相比起wait来说,await要更加正式--比如它会用于正式书信中。
If you want a tip about using these two verbs, I would suggest that you should use 'wait for'。
如果你想要一个有关使用这两个动词的小贴士的话,我会建议你使用'wait for'。