Well, we have two words here which mean very similar things.
这里有两个含义非常相近的单词。
Lazy which we know means someone who doesn't really work very hard,
我们知道,'Lazy'的含义是指某人不是很努力,
but also one with a very similar meaning, idle. That's idle – i.d.l.e.
但还有另外一个与其含义非常相近的单词,那就是idle。idle。
Both words can actually be used to describe someone who doesn't work very hard,
这两个单词实际上都可以用来描述某个不是很努力的人,
so, for example, "John is really lazy." or "John is really idle."
比如'约翰真的很lazy(懒)'或者'约翰真的很idle(懒)'。
Both mean that really John doesn't work as much as he should do.
这两句话的意思都是说,约翰没有完成他应该完成的工作量
However, there are some very subtle differences between the two words which means we can't use them completely interchangeably.
但是,这两个词也有着一些非常细微的差别,所以我们不能在使用它们时完全互换。
For example, "lazy" will always have a negative connotation;
比如说,'lazy'通常会有一种负面含义,
it will give us a very negative idea of the person it's being used to describe.
对其描述的那个人,我们会有一种很负面的看法。
So lazy is always seen as a very bad thing.
因此'lazy'通常被视为一个含义非常糟糕的单词。
However, idle can be used in other contexts, still to mean something or someone doesn't work, but without the negative judgement.
不过idle在其他语境下使用时,虽然也是指某物或某个人不做事,但却没有消极的评价。
So for example, if you press print on your computer, you may see a sign which says "Printer idle."
举例来说,当你在你的电脑上点击打印时,你可以看到一个提示称“打印机空闲”
This means that the printer, at the moment, isn't doing anything.
这就表示此刻该打印机没有在做任何事情。
Similarly, sometimes factories must close, because there isn't enough work, and so at that point, the factory is idle.
类似地,工厂有时必须要关闭,这是因为没有足够的工作任务,那时我们就说该工厂闲置了。
And also, the work force, the people are idle.
我们还可以说劳动力、人们闲置了。
So when we use idle in this way, we are not giving a negative comment on the people or the thing,
因此,当我们这样使用idle的时候,我们没有对人或事给出负面评价,
we are just saying they're not working.
我们要表达的只是他们没有在工作。
Remember, when we say someone is lazy, we mean they don't work very hard,
记住,当我们说某人lazy的时候,其含义是他们没有努力做事,
but we can't say the printer is lazy, we can only say the printer is idle.
但是我们不能说打印机是lazy的,我们只能说打印机是idle的。