CNN Student News: Health Impacts of Loneliness
燕山大学 刘立军 宋葳 编写
The U.S. surgeon general, Dr. Vivek Murthy, has said that the most common health problem in America isn't cancer, obesity or heart disease, but isolation, being cut off socially from others. Research suggests that this is actually associated with heart disease or actually living a shorter life. Fortunately, there's something simple we can do to fight it off.
DR. SANJAY GUPTA, CNN CHIEF MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT:
This will shock you, just how much of an impact being lonely can have on your health.
What they have found now in a few different studies is that it's on par with being a smoker. It increases your risk for real diseases like heart disease, like diabetes. So, we think about loneliness in this abstract sense, but the health effects are very objective and very real.
As a neuroscientist, I was so interested in this idea that we know where pain resides in the brain. And what we now know is that people who are chronically lonely, they have higher activity in that pain part of the brain.
So, even though it's loneliness it can register as physical pain. Having friends really does seem to keep people healthy. The simple act of being social, we find people's immune system actually perform better.
Simply saying "hello" can make the person who gets that greeting live longer. The evidence is pretty clear on this. And we're starting to get more and more evidence that you yourself by saying hello, it's so empowering that could actually do wonders for your health as well.
1. impact v. impact (of sth.) (on sb. /sth.): the powerful effect that sth. has on sb. /sth. 巨大影响；强大作用。例如：
the environmental impact of tourism旅游事业对环境的巨大影响
The report assesses the impact of AIDS on the gay community. 这个报告评估了艾滋病对同性恋群体的影响。
Her speech made a profound impact on everyone. 她的讲话对每个人都有深远的影响。Businesses are beginning to feel the full impact of the recession. 工商企业开始感受到了经济衰退的全面冲击。
2. on par with=be par for the course: (disapproving) to be just what you would expect to happen or expect sb. to do in a particular situation 不出所料；果不其然。例如：
Starting early and working long hours is par for the course in this job. 开工早，工时长，是担任这件工作的家常便饭。
3. diabetes n. a medical condition caused by a lack of insulin , which makes the patient produce a lot of urine and feel very thirsty 糖尿病；多尿症
4. neuroscie n. the science that deals with the structure and function of the brain and the nervous system 神经科学
5. chronic adj. having had a disease for a long time 长期患病的。例如：
a chronic alcoholic / depressive慢性酒精中毒者；长期抑郁症患者
Question 1: What's the most common health problem in America?
(C) Heart disease.
Question 2: What seems to keep people healthy?
(A) Having money.
(B) Having friends.
(C) Having hobbies.
(D) Having only one spouse.
1. (D) 命题根据：The U.S. surgeon general, Dr. Vivek Murthy, has said that the most common health problem in America isn't cancer, obesity or heart disease, but isolation, being cut off socially from others.
2. (B) 命题根据：So, even though it's loneliness it can register as physical pain. Having friends really does seem to keep people healthy.